The following process is designed to ensure all animals are placed in a mutually beneficial situation for the animal and the owner.
- File an application. (NOTE: On Petfinder.com, the ID number requested is not the Petfinder number, but our own internal five-digit one.) You may fill out an application online or download an application to fill out at home (Word or PDF). You may also request one to be faxed to you; call (315) 265-3199 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Provide required documentation (see application form).
- Interview conducted by shelter staff. (NOTE: If traveling a long distance, avoid an unproductive visit by contacting the shelter first to confirm your application and all necessary documents have been received).
- References are checked.
- Decision is made on application.
- There is a 24-hour waiting period for first-time PHS adopters.
Below is a flowchart of the Potsdam Humane Society Animal Admission to Adoption Process. (NOTE: The text in darkest boxes is “Fail“)